Vinyl Cutter is a device designed for high-precision perforation and cutting images from paper, cardboard, fabric, film, plastic and other materials. Such equipment is indispensable in enterprises working with drawings engaged in the manufacture of printing and promotional products.
The desktop Vinyl Cutter is a special device which is used in the advertising and design sphere. It is equipped with a special knife that cuts out shapes, symbols, and logos on the carrier. As the latter, you can use matte, glossy or self-adhesive paper.
The device that cuts A4 and A3 format vinyl film is manufactured in a compact case. An intuitive interface will save the user time since he will not have to study the settings and operating modes of the PU for a long time. Depending on the thickness of the knife, office equipment can cut out of paper, cardboard, film, vinyl and other materials.
With the help of Vinyl Cutter you can do:
- signs and signs;
- shop windows and billboards;
- decorative applications, figure stickers, and letter sets;
- transfer of images (thermal transfer) on clothing and sportswear.
The cutter device is similar to a conventional plotter, but not an ink pen is used as a working tool, and the knife is a mechanical or laser cutting unit.
The pressure of the knife can be adjusted, which allows you to cut through the material through or to the substrate. The process of the Vinyl Cutter is fully computerized – the tool moves along pre-defined marks or contours and accurately cuts out even complex figured images.
The price of the Vinyl Cutter depends on the design features and capabilities of the equipment. Cheap desktop devices and large-format Vinyl Cutters are available for sale, which easily cope with the processing of materials of A3 format and higher.
Types and possibilities of Vinyl Cutter
The rolling Vinyl Cutter has in its design a drum for feeding the rolled material. The pinch rollers monitor the material feed and its position relative to the knife, so cutting is performed with high precision.
Desktop Vinyl Cutter is equipped with a table top for attaching sheet materials. Image cutting is performed using the movements of the knife, which is located above the table surface on a special carriage. On professional models of equipment, the vacuum method of fasteners is used – the material practically “sticks” to the table and does not move during cutting or perforation.
You can choose the right option also by reading Bestazy’s review on best Vinyl Cutters.
Benefits of Vinyl Cutter
- High cutting accuracy. The presence of optical positioning sensors allows high-precision processing of materials on the programmed contours. You will be able to make very fine details and cut out complex figured images.
- Ability to process materials of different widths. Compact Vinyl Cutter have a cutting area of up to 300 mm. For widescreen models, this figure can reach 1.9 m.
- High cutting speed. Depending on the model, the devices can cut out figured images at speeds up to 1000 mm/s.
- Adjustable knife pressure. This feature allows you to customize the Vinyl Cutter for cutting materials of different thickness.
- High performance. Vinyl Cutter are designed for intensive daily use.
How to use Vinyl cutter in 10 easy steps
- It is necessary to have prepared real-size scaled images real size in vector programs (Inkscape, Adobe Illustrator, Alchemy, etc.).
- After that, you need to separate the images according to the light scale, since objects of a certain color will be cut on the corresponding film.
- After you have arranged the images by color in the vector program, you need to understand the width settings of your Vinyl Cutter. First, cut out smaller images, and then, changing the width, move to larger ones.
- Insert the adhesive tape into your Vinyl Cutter. The knife is set to the starting point from which the cutting will occur. Next, you need to send the image from the computer to the Vinyl Cutter, having previously set the cutting speed. Slower speeds improve cut quality but take longer.
- For better cutting, you should also set the pressure of the knife on the film surface, paying attention to its thickness. If the knife becomes dull, increasing the pressure will help you temporarily prolong the life of the cutting knife.
- After cutting out all the objects you need, remove unnecessary film residues, leaving only the work items. For difficulties, use well-ground scissors.
- When applying the sticker to the vehicle, you need to transfer the prepared parts of the film (non-stick side) to the mounting tape.
- Defat the surface where you are going to apply the film. Alcohol is great for this purpose. Pay attention to the dryness of the surface and its cleanliness.
- Attach the mounting tape to the part of the car you need. The main thing is to smooth out the applied image thoroughly, dispersing the air that was trapped under the sticker. After removing the mounting film, the sticker will remain on the surface.
- If your image consists of several colors, you consistently repeat procedures 7 – 9.
You also have the opportunity to pre-assemble the entire image on the mounting tape, and then transfer it to the surface.